This recipe was inspired by the Homesick Texan’s Tomato, Cheddar and Bacon Biscuits.
These were very good though, and went well with my chicken soup. The recipe is small enough that you are no overwhelmed with biscuits – and for those that know me…i have issues with small portions of food. I am a food hoarder, and my inclination was to double this recipe and put some in the freezer so I can just pop one or two out when I want some. I resisted. This time.
They are good though – See the Notes.Print
Tomato and Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 stick cold butter
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes (chopped)
- 6 tbsp buttermilk for dough
- 1 tbsp buttermilk for brushing the top of the biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 450. Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet.
- Using a sifter, place flour and spices and sift into a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the butter is well incorporated, then add in the cheese. Stir to mix.
- Add the buttermilk (I had to use my finger to scrape every little bit out, then the 6 tbsp was sufficient.) Mix to combine as well as possible.
- Dump everything onto a floured surface, and knead for a minute until the dough is smooth. Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch.
- Using a round cutter, cut out your biscuits. Brush with remaining tbsp of buttermilk. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
I omitted the bacon and added another tbsp of buttermilk. I also rolled them a bit too thin, probably 1/4 inch, so I should either roll them thicker, or perhaps try 1 tsp of baking powder instead of a half. I would also increase the salt to 1/2 tsp. Mine were a little bland probably due to the omission of the bacon, but I assumed the cheese would make up for that.