I could literally eat my weight in fried shrimp. Back in the day, my dad would bring home a 50lb cooler of shrimp, straight from the Kemah docks, and we would clean shrimp and freeze them all weekend – but always made a huge batch of fried shrimp when we were done. I don’t believe my mother knew any other way to cook them, fried is still BEST.Print
Fried Shrimp – Southern Style
- Raw (deveined shrimp – I seriously allow 1lb per peson)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- Place shrimp in a covered bowl, and pour buttermilk to cover. Toss around just a bit to coat all the shrimp, refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a gallon ziplock bag for easy cleanup. When you are ready to fry your shrimp, preheat cast iron, or deep fryer to 375. Using a strainer, take an amount that is appropriate for your pan or fryer and place in a strainer, allowing the buttermilk to drain off slightly. Give it a shake or two.
- Place in the bag with dry mix – and shake until coated.
- Fry until golden brown. To keep shrimp crispy while completing the cooking – place in a warm oven, 225 or so, on a rack.
- Serve with Home Made Tartar Sauce and Ketchup mixed with Horseradish for extra zing.