I was able to get at least 8 servings from the sizes of the chicken breasts, so the calories per serving would be less.
Serve with Roasted Broccoli and Pasta
Source: Adapted from Cooks Illustrated, October 2006Print
- 1 cups bread crumbs (panko)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbs water
- Cooking spray (as needed)
- 2 large boneless (skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and cut into halves (4 pieces total))
- 1 cups Marinara or tomato sauce (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese coarsely shredded
- 1 Tbs minced fresh basil
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Place chicken in a bowl with buttermilk, and allow to sit while other items are prepared.
- Combine breadcrumbs in a container with a lid,suitable for shaking. Add other seasonings, shake to blend.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with vegetable oil spray. Take one piece of chicken, let excess buttermilk drip off, and place in seasoned bread crumb mixture and put the top on – and shake. Repeat for other pieces of chicken.
- Bake until the chicken is no longer pink and feels firm when pressed with a finger, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Spoon 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce over the top of each piece of chicken and top with 2 tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella.
- Return the chicken to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh basil and serve as desired, with extra Parmesan and marinara sauce.