Roasted Tomatillo and Green Tomato Salsa
- 1/2 lb. tomatillos (husked and halved)
- 1 onion (peeled and quartered)
- 1–2 cloves cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1/2 lb. green tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 or more hot peppers such as jalapenos (halved*)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (vinegar, or cider)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 TBL olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- 1.To keep from getting the peppery oils on yourself, invert a plastic bag around your hand for protection while cutting the peppers. Turn the plastic bag right-side out, encasing the peppers, and add the olive oil, tomatillos, onion, garlic, and green tomatoes. Close bag, and shake well until all are covered with oil.
- 2.Pour the veggies out onto a baking sheet, and roast in a 400 to 425 degree oven until they are “wilted” with dark brown flecks. You can also grill on a charcoal grill for an added smokey flavor.
- 3.Puree the veggies in a blender or food processor with the cilantro and lime juice, vinegar or cider. Taste, and add salt as desired.
The salsa can be served immediately.will have better keeping quality if simmered (in a stainless steel, not aluminum!) pan for about 20 minutes. Then it can be cooled and refrigerated. I have also frozen this sauce in small canning jars and it works fine.