Roasted Tomatillo and Green Tomato Salsa
- 1/2 lb. tomatillos husked and halved
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 1-2 cloves cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 lb. green tomatoes quartered
- 1 or more hot peppers such as jalapenos halved*
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice vinegar, or cider
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 TBL olive oil
- salt to taste
1.To keep from getting the peppery oils on yourself, invert a plastic bag around your hand for protection while cutting the peppers. Turn the plastic bag right-side out, encasing the peppers, and add the olive oil, tomatillos, onion, garlic, and green tomatoes. Close bag, and shake well until all are covered with oil.
2.Pour the veggies out onto a baking sheet, and roast in a 400 to 425 degree oven until they are "wilted" with dark brown flecks. You can also grill on a charcoal grill for an added smokey flavor.
3.Puree the veggies in a blender or food processor with the cilantro and lime juice, vinegar or cider. Taste, and add salt as desired.
The salsa can be served immediately.will have better keeping quality if simmered (in a stainless steel, not aluminum!) pan for about 20 minutes. Then it can be cooled and refrigerated. I have also frozen this sauce in small canning jars and it works fine.