This recipe for cakes was very good, although it was different than the one made with mayonnaise.
I did not use panko, I used fresh soft loaf of French bread, about a cup. We let them sit in the fridge for at least 30-40 minutes and sautéed in olive with a small slice of butter.
We also did not make the avocado cream sauce, but did make the horseradish one. We had to add extra salt.
This recipe I think could be made better by using a red pepper rémoulade sauce. We did not miss the mayonnaise used in regular recipes for crab cakes.
Crab Cakes – Light Version
- 2 Tbs 2% Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- dash worcestershire sauce
- pinch cayenne
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb lump crab meat (picked over)
- 1 cup whole wheat panko (Japanese bread crumbs ( I used French bread))
- 2 Tbs green onions (minced)
- 1 Tbs chives (minced)
- 2 to 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
*Whipped Avocado Dipping Sauce*
- 1 avocado (skinned and pitted)
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
*Horseradish Cream Sauce *
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 1 Tbs horseradish
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice pinch sea salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients (yogurt through pepper) together. Gently fold in the crab, panko, onions and chives. Divide the mixture into four even parts and mold each part into a cake. Refrigerate the cakes (covered with plastic wrap) for at least 30 minutes, which will help the cakes firm up and hold together better in the skillet.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, gently add two crab cakes and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and heated through. Remove the first two cakes to a plate; keep warm. If necessary, add another teaspoon of oil to the skillet and cook the remaining two cakes according to the directions above. Serve warm.
- Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and whip with a wire whisk (alternately, place the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse) until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Serve chilled.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve chilled