Very good cake – and my husbands favorite.
Original recipe here: http://everyday-lovely.blogspot.com/2012/04/time-for-carrot-cake.html
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (undrained)
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 8 ounce pkg cream cheese (softened)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter and sugar the bottoms and sides of your pan – this gives your cake a chewy, crunchy exterior. Once you have done this, you will do it for other cakes as well.
- Cream oil and sugar, until fluffy. Add eggs, carrots, and pineapple and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to blend, then add to carrot mixture, a small amount at a time, until well mixed.
- Divide between 3 buttered and sugared 9″ cake pans.
- Bake at 325 for 15-20, until toothpick tests done, around 20-15 minutes.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until blended. Add sugar a little at a time, beating well until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla and spread on cooled cake.
- Frosting only makes enough to cover insides of cake, not sides.