We served these with the Pork Eggrolls that I had made a few days before.
Hubby is not exaxtly what I would call a vegetarian. He doesn’t like things when there is not any meat. So I used some tofu. Works for me, it’s easier on my digestive system than beef. This recipe is what I term a ‘throw down’ meaning, use up things in the fridge that could be getting old. This is a great way to use up leftover rice and veggies.
Brown Rice and Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 cup brown rice – or leftover brown rice which is what i used
- 1 carrot sliced thin
- 1/2 package FIRM tofu chopped in small pieces
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 1/2 cup onion chopped small
- 2 stalk celery sliced thin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt pepper, garlic, soy sauce to taste
- 1 egg whisked (optional)
- any other small amount of leftover veggies in my case it was some corn and asparagus
Take the small vegetables and 1 tbsp olive oil, it a stainless steel wok, or other large pan, and begin sauteeing on high heat. After a few minutes, add the tofu and continue to stir fry until the veggies are crisp tender.
Add the brown rice, and continue to stir fry until your rice is starting to pop around the pan. If you are adding egg, move mixture aside and add at this time, scrambling in place. When ready, add soy sauce, and taste to adjust for salt and pepper.