So.. who likes ice cream? I am intrigued by the flavor of basil in things where it would not normally belong. This is really good – it belongs.
This had a great texture, and did not have a ‘heavy’ feel to it. The family loved it. I would change one thing by adding the basil to the strawberries when I put them in the food processor. I also did NOT strain mixture through a strainer.
Strawberry Basil Buttermilk Ice Cream
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- Wash berries
- Remove stems and leaves.
- Roughly chop strawberries.
- Puree strawberries in a food processor or a blender until smooth about 30 seconds
- Pour strawberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Discard solids.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla mix well.
- Cover and chill at least an hour.
- Pour strawberry mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker, and freeze according to the directions.