Egg Tartlets with Gouda Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon ice water
*Ingredients for filling*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Gouda cheese (grated)
- 4 slices bacon (already cooked and chopped)
- 9 green onions (chopped)
- salt to taste
- Place flour in a bowl (add butter and mix as you would a pie crust – until mixture looks coarse and crumbly.)
- Add egg yolk and water – using a spatula or wooden spoon (combine until mixture resembles pie dough – adding more water if necessary. Wrap dough in plastic and place in refrigerator to allow a 30 minute rest.)
- When rest is finished (roll out dough and cut your dough into round shapes to fit your small baking dishes. Press into place and bake for 15 minutes at 400. Crust does not need to look brown as it will continue baking when egg mixture is added.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, heavy cream, milk. Add shredded cheese, bacon (cooked and chopped finely), green onions (chopped) and mix well. Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Divide the egg mixture from step 2 into 6 equal parts and pour it into each of 6 tart shells.
- Bake these egg tartlets for 20-30 minutes, until tart shell is golden brown and eggs are almost set.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before serving.