Late night baking is essential. It is when the cravings start…after dinner…after dark.
Original Recipe here: Foodologie
Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- For cupcakes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- zest and juice of three lemons
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- Lemon Curd filling – I used a jar of lemon curd found on the baking aisle.
- For Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 stick butter (room temp)
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and sour cream. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the milk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake pan. Bake 17-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. Use whatever tool you have on hand to cut out a piece of cupcake from the center. I used an apple core, just drilled down on it about 3/4 of an inch. Use a freezer bag, or frosting bag, pipe in the lemon curd.
- Frosting Directions:
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, and mix on medium until you have a smooth frosting. Add liquid if it is too stiff, powdered sugar if it is too wet.